Please note this page is private and NOT linked to from the main DigiTrust site. Please do not link to this page or share with anyone outside your company.
DigiTrust is a standardized ID and neutral namespace recently acquired by IAB Tech Lab. The ID service was founded by ad tech platforms and premium publishers who are collaborating to deploy and support a standardized, shared, 1st party cookie-based user token in order to achieve the following mutual benefits:
- Improved managed revenue due to better audience recognition, by reducing data loss associated to third party cookies (on mobile, especially) and ID syncing
- Improved match rates with your trading partners, by eliminating the need for ID syncing
- Leveling of the playing field with the “walled gardens”, by enabling the third party ecosystem with a shared first party cookie ID
- Alleviated regulatory pressure/risk in Europe, with centralized consent, proof of consent and revocation of consent
- Better consumer experience
Timeline, Goals and Adoption
A number of leading platforms and premium publishing organizations have already deployed, enabling critical mass of global audience coverage in 2017. We entered 2018 with 47 members who are focusing their efforts on end-to-end deployments; publishers setting the DigiTrust standardized ID, their SSPs passing the ID in every bid request, DSPs reading the ID and influencing their bidding logic (bidding more, and more often), and DMPs attaching the ID to audience segments on behalf of their customers. In H2 2018, we expect improved audience recognition (match rates) for all platforms, resulting in better scale for buyers, higher CPMs for publishers, increased fee revenue for platforms and reduced operational costs associated with ID syncs.
Membership and Participation
DigiTrust participation is available to proprietary ad technology platforms (sell-side or buy-side) who are IAB Tech Lab members. Participation involves monthly dues for the API and decryption key necessary to access to the decrypted, persistent user ID, and for the right to store the ID within proprietary systems and propagate to other members. The current fee structure is:
- FREE – platforms with annual managed media of <$5MM or annual net revenues <$1MM
- USD$2,500*/month – platforms with annual managed media of <$50MM or annual net revenues <$10MM
- USD$5,000*/month – all other platforms
* In accordance with the acquisition agreement, certain organisations that were DigiTrust members prior to the IAB Tech Lab acquisition will receive 10% off their monthly DigiTrust invoice from 2018 – 2022.
Platforms all share in the cost to operate DigiTrust and continue the following important work on your behalf:
- ID persistence – Ongoing innovation to address challenges to user tokens/IDs as a result of regulation, browser changes, and other software.
- GDPR / ePR Consent Management Platform – Driving a co-development effort with DigiTrust members to build a CMP that aligns with the IAB Europe Transparency and Consent Framework and ties consumer preferences the DigiTrust ID.
- AMP support, DigiTrust pre-bid module and much more
Steps to Participation and Deployment
DigiTrust is funded and resourced as a non-profit industry utility/service within IAB Tech Lab, with a dependency on member engagement, cooperation and deployment. To participate:
- Become a member of IAB Tech Lab, if you’re not already. To determine whether you’re a member, please inquire at email@example.com
- Review and execute the DigiTrust ID Services Agreement for Platforms and return to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please understand our need to standardize this agreement for all participants, with no opportunity for negotiating one-off terms and conditions.
- Review the technical integration and platform best practises documentation on the DigiTrust Github. Contact email@example.com for your Member ID and Site ID.
- DigiTrust ID Services Agreement for Platforms
- Current Members and their deployment status
- Platform deployment best practices
- Technical Integration Guide
- ID encryption
- DigiTrust ID sharing via Open RTB
- DigiTrust FAQ
- DigiTrust New Member Recruitment presentation and the accompanying audio file (January 2018) – An overview of DigiTrust, current status of operations, governance, competitive landscape, key objectives for 2018, how the technology works, and implementation details.
- GDPR blog post – Summary of the DigiTrust co-development effort to build a GDPR/ePR compliant Consent Management Platform that ties consumer preferences to the DigiTrust ID and aligns with the IAB Europe Transparency and Consent Framework